Isaiah Twenty Eight

...But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken...

My Photo
Name:
Location: High Desert SW

I'm Vickie, 51, married since 1985. We have a grown son, born in 1986, and aside from two early miscarriages, were barren thereafter. That is until 2003, when we were miraculously expecting a baby girl. The pregnancy was wonderful & we were very excited to be so blessed. Sadly & preventably, Abigail died in utero the week of her due date thanks to a practice of outlandishly horrid medical providers masquerading as knowledgeable professionals. Consequently, I delivered her lifeless body on December 6, 2003 after 3 days of sorrowed labor. She may have been born still, but she was still born & is still loved. Long story short, we were blessed 16 months later with a 3rd miracle child. Anne came into the world on April 28, 2005 after yet another wonderful pregnancy. Sadly, it was discovered after her birth that she had a heart defect caused by trisomy 18. She died suddenly of congestive heart failure, just before midnight on June 28, 2005. Anne was 61derful days old when she left her mama's arms & went to rest in the Lord's. She was a wonderful sparkly child, who along with her siblings, are the subject of most of my writings, interests & hobbies.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Lessons in Falling Backward and Being Broken -- No Excuses

We were in Romans chapter five this week. What an amazing study this is proving to be. The first couple of chapters are brutal because Paul aptly illustrates the depravity of man. But then he transitions into the abundant grace of God and illustrates how remarkably merciful He really is.

In fact, the biggest lessons that have stuck with me thus far is that we really are without excuse. We have no excuse if we look around and refuse to recognize the sin nature of man for what it's worth. If we deny God as the Creator we really are fooling ourselves. Nature itself proves that a created design exists, so we really don't have any excuses for claiming there is no God.

Conversely, we're without excuse if we fail to recognize all the wonderful ways God shows His mercy as well. God has bestowed His loving grace upon us in so many ways, and yet we deny Him still. Why? Why do we reject God as non-existent or write Him off as unloving?

Is it because bad things happen to "good" people so we write God off as being unloving or uninvolved? Or maybe it's because good things happen to bad people and we chalk God off as being cruel or selective. I don't know why humanity chooses to hate God or reject God so readily.

I of all people certainly would have reason to reject God. I've wrestled with Him as to whether He really loves me or not. If I really am blessed in spite of the evidence that would illustrate otherwise. Does God care that we hurt and suffer? When will He end it all. Why don't all people get to suffer equally? What sort of cosmic riddle is He playing us for?

It's easy to ask those questions. It's easy to be mad at God for not giving us more personalized answers--we often expect Him to speak directly to us like He did with Moses in the fiery bush that didn't burn. But would we be as Moses and actually do as He asked if He appeared to us in a fiery bush that didn't burn? Or do we just expect God to be our cosmic Santa, giving in to our every toddler-like demand?

I've struggled with all the same questions that humanity has asked for eons. I've turned to my Bible for answers. They are often hard answers and difficult to swallow. But I'm convinced that God loves me in spite my my inability to more fully understand His plan. I understand a basic truth that is the source of all my peace with God--PROPITIATION.

Yes, my abitilty to grasp the propitiation (albeit inadequately) is the very foundation of what sustains me through life's hard issues. I'm able to accept God on HIS terms rather than imposing my weak & feeble idea of what's "good" or "right" or "fair." Nothing of my own understands any of those things apart from HIM.

It's like the movie Bruce Almighty when he gave everyone their yes answer to all their prayers--he created havoc with the world. In reality, God knows infinitely better than me what to do. I know He hates hurting the children He loves, but sometimes He has to in order for a chain of events to happen in history--past, present & future must unfold in a multi-faceted way. Adam's sin nature must factor into the equation.

Thus bad things will happen to good people and good things will happen to bad people. But I believe that God levels the playing field once we cross over into His dimension. Moreover, He gives us the propitiation to bring us peace, to shed abroad in our hearts the love He has for us while we wait for the reality of reconciliation to take place on the Other Side of the Rainbow. It's a shame that more folks don't have better patience & staying power as they work out their struggles with God.

He uses our tragedies of life to prove Himself mighty and to illustrate the truth of Romans 8:28 when we're told that all things work for good to them who love God and are chosen according to His purpose. He gives us times of tragedy to work on our relationships with each other, giving us opportunities to help each other and esteem others greater than ourselves.

Am I grieved that He "chose" me to endure my trials & hardships in order to come to a deeper understanding of Himself--sometimes. Yes, it hurts profoundly to think that His "plan" for my life has involved so much heart ache and struggle. I often wish it could be less painful and less lonely.

I also know that faith is the substance of things hoped for; that we walk by faith & not by sight. I know that while He chose me to overcome great tragedy, He also chose me for great faith -- that great faith only comes by great & treacherous walks through the painful & lonely wilderness. Would I trade in my faith for something easier?

What would be my excuse?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home